Sunday, 17 July 2011
Spinach wheel recipe
A recipe to use for freshly picked spinach which, with a fresh salad, is enough to serve four.
Ingredients: 450g of potatoes. 300g of spinach. 1 grated onion, 2 crushed and finely chopped garlic cloves, 60ml of tomato puree, 160g of grated mature cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, 100g of plain flour and 1 beaten egg.
(1) Boil the potatoes until tender, drain, mash and leave to cool.
(2) Chop spinach and steam for 10 mins.
(3) Place the spinach in a bowl and add the onion, garlic, tomato puree and 80g of cheese. Mix the ingredients well, season to taste and leave to one side.
(4) Mix the flour and mashed potato, add the egg, season and knead together until smooth.
(5) Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to about 25cm by 30cm.
(6) Spread the spinach mixture over the pastry but leave half a centimetre edging.
(7) Starting with shortest side, roll up the pastry and place the joined side down on your work surface.
(8) Cut into 8 equal slices and place flat on a lightly greased baking tray.
(9) Sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese and bake at 190c until golden brown.
(10 Serve hot with a fresh salad.