Authors of Olives, Lemons and Grapes: Towards self-sufficiency in food: A guide to growing your own in a Mediterranean or Sub-tropical climate (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131). Website at Cyprusgardener.co.uk and Twitter at Cyprusgardener. We hope you find it all useful and if you want you can follow us to find out about life on our smallholding, recipes, olive oil, wildlife, self sufficiency and more. Please post your comments, as feedback is always helpful.
Friday, 15 July 2011
Easy lemon cake recipe
A lovely recipe for using freshly picked lemons which is finished by pouring a lemon syrup over the cake to give it an even more lemony flavour.
The ingredients are: 150g of margarine; 225g of brown sugar; the grated rind and juice of two medium sized lemons; 2 small eggs and 150g of wholemeal self-raising flour.
(1) Heat the margarine and add only 175g of sugar and stir until the margarine has fully melted.
(2) Take off the heat and stir in the lemon rind.
(3) Whisk the eggs and add to the sugar mixture.
(4) Fold in the flour and turn into a greased and floured 20cm tin.
(5) Bake at 180c for about 30 minutes or until just firm to touch.
(6) Warm the remaining 50g of sugar with the lemon juice.
(7) Prick the cake all over, whilst still warm, with a fork and spoon the syrup over the cake.
(8) Leave to cool in the tin and cut into squares and enjoy.