Tuesday, 12 July 2011
Pitted black olive bread recipe
A lovely recipe for using some of your stored black olives and olive oil. The ingredients are: 500g of bread flour; 2 Tbl of dry yeast; 2 Tbl of white sugar; 1 tsp of salt; one cup of pitted black olives; 3 Tbl of olive oil and 200ml of lukewarm water.(150ml to reactivate the yeast and 50ml to form the dough)
(1) Reactivate 15g of dried yeast by mixing with 150ml of warm water (1 part boiling and 2 parts cold), dissolving 1 tsp of sugar in the water and leave in a warm place for about 15 minutes.
(2) In a large bowl, mix the flour, the activated dried yeast, sugar, salt, black olives, olive oil and warm water.
(3) Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 7-10 minutes until smooth and pliable.
(4) Cover and leave in a warm place to rise for about 45 minutes until the dough doubles in size.
(5) Knead again for 7 to 10 minutes.
(6) Recover and leave again in a warm place for 30 minutes to double in size.
(7) Form into a round on a floured surface and place in a bowl for about 30 minutes, cover with a towel and allow the dough to again double in size.
(8) Place a bowl of water in the oven, which will keep the bread moist, and pre-heat to 220c.
(9) Place the rounded dough on a baking tray which has been oiled and dusted with flour.
(10) Bake at 220c for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 180c and bake for a further 30 minutes.
Enjoy on its own, with a bowl of fresh salad or pasta.