Thursday, 7 July 2011
How to make your own orange marmalade
A simple and straightforward recipe for using freshly picked oranges which tastes wonderful and because you have made it yourself probably better than any marmalade you have tasted before.
Ingredients needed are: 9 medium sized oranges, 2 lemons and 1.5kg of sugar.
(1) Wash fruit and cut out any blemishes and peel thinly leaving the pith on the fruit.
(2) Remove as much of the pith as possible and quarter the fruit.
(3) Place the quartered fruit in a food processor and then into a blender.
(4) Very thinly slice the peel.
(5) Place the fruit and thinly sliced peel into the pan and add the sugar.
(6) Bring to the boil for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
(7) After 20 minutes check for setting by placing a small amount on a cold plate for a few minutes.
(8) Pour, whilst still hot, into sterilised jars and put on the lids.
(9) Once cooled, label, clean and store in a dark but cool area and use within 6 months but once opened keep in the fridge.