Friday, 5 August 2011
kolokas or Kolokasi (taro) recipe
Taro is known in Cyprus as Kolokasi or Kolokass. The plant is toxic when raw due to the presence of calcium oxilate which is reduced to safe levels by cooking. Taro is usually planted in March and harvested between September to October. Plants require a lot a water.
Ingredients - 450g of kolokasi, 3 sticks of celery, 1 large onion, 3 Tbsp of tomato puree, olive oil and salt and pepper.
(1) Chop the onion and celery
(2) Peel the kolokasi and wash and dry, before cutting into large chunks
(3) Fry the onion until browning and then add the celery and kolokasi and continue frying, stirring
occasionally, for about 15 minutes until the kolokasi starts to brown
(4) Dissolve the puree in hot water and add
(5) Cover with water and add salt and pepper to taste
(6) Simmer for about an hour or until the kolokasi is soft
Serve hot with fresh bread