Wednesday, 3 August 2011
Cypriot lokma or crisp doughnut recipe
These small golden fried doughnut's are served hot with honey, a sugary syrup or simply dipped in a bowl of sugar. The following recipe will make between 25-35 lokmas.
Ingredients: 250g of plain flour; 6g of dried yeast or half a Tbsp; a pinch of salt; 275ml of warm water; 1 tsp of sugar; vegetable oil for frying; honey or sugar and cinnamon to serve.
1. Sift the plain flour into a bowl and add the salt, dried yeast and sugar.
2. Add the warm water whilst continually stirring until the mixture is smooth.
3. Cover an allow to rest for an hour, in a warm place, until the mixture has doubled in size.
4. Heat oil until very hot and drop teaspoons of the mixture into the oil. Dip your teaspoon into cold water before each drop to prevent sticking. Turn them as they are frying and remove when golden brown
5. Dribble with honey. a sugary syrup or sugar and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon before serving.