Monday, 11 July 2011
Stuffed marrow flowers recipe
An excellent recipe, which will serve four, using marrow flowers which are currently available or which continue to grow from September onwards but have little chance of setting fruit.
Ingredients needed are: about 35 to 40 marrow flowers depending on their size, 150g of rice, one small onion, two medium sized tomatoes, salt and pepper, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 300ml of water and fresh mint leaves washed and finely chopped.
1. Remove the flower stems and pistils and gently wash and dry the flowers.
2. Chop the tomatoes and onion finely.
3. Mix together the rice, chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, chopped mint and seasoning.
4. Carefully stuff the flowers with a teaspoon until 3/4 full and fold the petals in.
5. Gently place the stuffed flowers into a small saucepan and add the water and olive oil.
6. Gently heat, bring to the boil and then leave on a low heat for about 20 minutes until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
7. Your stuffed marrow flowers can be enjoyed hot or cold with a fresh salad.