Saturday, 4 June 2011
Okra in tomato sauce
Okra in Tomato Sauce
A great traditional Cypriot recipe for using when you harvest your okra and tomatoes from June onwards which is served hot with some fresh bread.
Ingredients: 500g of okra, a medium sized onion, 3 ripe tomatoes, a quarter cup of olive oil, half a cup of water, 1 Tbsp of tomato paste, 2 cloves of garlic, half a cup of hot water and salt and pepper to taste.
(1) Wash and then top, tail and split down the side without cutting in half
(2) Chop the onion and garlic finely and fry in the olive oil
(3) Add the okra, chopped tomatoes and tomato paste
(4) Add the hot water and salt and pepper to taste
(5) Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes until tender