Sunday, 8 December 2013
10 Ways to Preserve Tomatoes
If you are lucky enough to have a glut of tomatoes the following are ten ways to preserve some of your crop to enjoy throughout the year. But don't forget to keep some of each variety to one side to provide seeds for next year.
1. Make your own tomato puree http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-your-own-easy-tomato-puree.html
2. Make your own tomato juice http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.com/2012/06/make-your-own-tomato-juice.html
3. Make your own sun dried tomatoes http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.com/2012/06/make-your-own-sun-dried-tomatoes.html
4. Freeze tomatoes whole and peeling them once defrosted will be easy and they can be used in any recipe which requires fresh tomatoes.
5. Tomatoes can be bottled (or canned) whole or chopped and there are numerous recipes and step by step instructions available.
6. Make a tomato chutney, there are some many recipes to choose from depending on your taste preferences from hot to mild.
7. Make a batch of tomato soup and freeze in portions relevant to your needs.
8. Pickle green tomatoes towards the end of the growing season.
9. Make tomato jam, there are numerous recipes to choose from.
10. Make your own tomato and vegetable bouillion or stock for use in many recipes.